söndag 26 december 2010

The 24th


Before I start going back in time, to try to show you what we've been up to, I think I should start with the present moment. Right now I'm rather relaxed. Yesterday I took D to his dad and after that I have been reading, watching tv, did a bit of zumba in the living room this morning, put henna in my hair, had a long bath and am planning to read more tonight. I'm not even going to go to church for carol singing - I really value my own time.

This year I realized our old Christmas traditions are really changing - and that is just a good thing. One change is that the
livingroom looks different now - now I'm really happy with the furniture! Also the timetable was different now. I'd rather have it this way - I think the "old Christmas feeling", which I've had before and not now, was connected to a calm, when everything follows a certain order and everything is ready and you can just enjoy the clean house, the candles and colors of Christmas.

This year D was more active and we also had a guest in the house - one of the refugees joined us. He is now 18, so I'm not his guardian anymore, but I hope we'll stay friends. He is wonderful company to D - so I could prepare food etc in peace and quiet. Unfortunately it was - 26 degrees outside, so going to the graveyard to light candles was not quite as pleasant as it used to be. I also forgot to serve the ham :), but instead I tried
a new thing. A second cousin to me gave us moose meat and I decided that would be great on the Christmas table. And it was! This was the first time I'd ever prepared it, since I don't even know where you could get hold of it (maybe in the markets, but I've never thought of looking for it!).

Unfortunately my good camera gave up - it refused to take any photos when it was dark, so these are just snapshots with the small camera, and as a consequence, not really good quality.


D and I were doing a bit of baking, but he stayed for about five minutes :).












In Swedish Santa's helpers are "tomtar" - so here you have four "tomtar" that celebrated Xmas together :).

D had so waited for Santa and all his presents - in the evening in bed he sighed happily: "Santa is sooo nice" :).

The 24th felt a bit chaotic, but on the other hand I've always felt it was almost too lonely a day, I hope we can always have guests for Christmas from now on!





























D and A tried out a lot of the toys in the evening :).

5 kommentarer:

Saltistjejen sa...

Å vilken underbart mysig julafton ni hade!!!! Härligt! och som du tor jag att ändrade traditioner ibland kan vara enbart bra! Ger en positiv känsla och de följer livets olika skeden. Man måste kunna ändra traditioner och utveckla nya eftersom ens liv förändras. Så ser jag det iallafall. :-)
Hoppas nu att du får en fortsatt lugn och skön ledighet!
Kramar!!

Anna, Fair and True sa...

Vad trevligt att du bjöd in A! Antar att han inte har någon familj här alls.

Så D fastnade på bild fast han bara bakade i fem minuter :)

Annika sa...

Vilken fin julafton ni fick, Ulla. Verkligen!
Man ser hur fint och mysigt det var. ja, jag hoppas också att ni ska ha gäster varje år, för det blir ju lite mer speciellt då.
Vad söt han är, D!! OCh vad fint att A kom till er.
Du frågade om förstoring av bilder på min blogg. Det är enkelt, jag gör det i htlm...ska skicka en länk till dig där det förklaras perfekt på ett urenkelt sätt.
KRAM och god fortsättning på julen!!!

Annika sa...

Här är den!!
http://awomanalifeablog.blogspot.com/2009/09/hur-man-forstorar-bilder.html

Ulla sa...

Saltis: jo, jag tror det är viktigt att börja tänka "ouside the box", men just i detta fall är det svårt då traditionen mer eller mindre varit lika i 46 år :). Vi har haft det jätteskönt = i mitt fall, lugnt! Har hunnit vila och lugna ner mig! kram!

Anna: det var delvis därför jag bjöd honom, men också för att han är väldigt trevlig! Jag har ofta kameran nära till - fast i år blev det ju så att den bättre gav upp :(.

Annika: vad kul att få en kommentar från dig igen, känns som om det var jättelänge sen - men sen har jag ju knappt skrivit något heller de senaste månaderna :(! Tusen tack för länken till fotona - det var som jag befarade, att man måste göra något åt varje foto medan man sätter in dem. Hu vad tidskrävande - och det är ju just det jag inte mera har :(. kram i varje fall :).