torsdag 28 december 2006

Warming up to work

It's actually been rather exciting lately to think about the year to come. At this very moment I'm so relieved I still have one more month left of the maternity leave, but on the other hand it's rather nice to think about some jobprojects as well. Yesterday I had a call from a school about teaching Swedish to some of the foreign musicstudents at the vocational school. I did that before the maternity leave, but now I'm not so sure if I should start doing it yet. Of course, there is always the risk that if I now say no, I will regret it later, if I can't find enough jobs. But right now I think I'm going to say "no thank you"anyway...it was nice to teach motivated students, and it was basically a tutoring thing with one or two students in the class. But now there would be problems involved - finding babysitters would be a big stressfactor, since this would be once a week all of spring and I would be gone for at least four and a half hours at a time, so my mother wouldn't manage with the baby. Besides, I'm not a qualified teacher of Swedish, and want to get away from the teaching in favor of more writing - which I can do at home.

I have applied for a "homecaregrant" - to stay at home and take care of my son until he is three years old. If I don't use daycare provided by the town, I can also do some work, even if I get the money to take care of my child at home. I've already agreed to another teaching job in March - English this time (for which I am qualified) - so I think that is enough. I'm hoping to do some articlewriting and work for the local tv-station, and I think I won't have time for more. At least now I feel like taking care of the household and my son is a fulltime job! Besides, I think there is going to be a lot of development in my son's life during the next months. He will start to crawl any day now, it seems, then comes walking, talking...big events in a little person's life. Don't want to miss those!!

5 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

Vi har kört med partiell föräldraledighet i över en månad nu och ska göra så till februari. Känns nog lite som jag missar lite med B, men till lika är det skönt att få använda hjärnan i jobbet lite. Ska nog vara vårdledig sen, vet ej hur länge, men som privatföretagare kan jag ju vara lite fexibel och jobba lite då och då, hoppas jag. Hoppas du också hittar en bra kombination av jobb och baby! H. B´s mamma

Jemayá sa...

Jag får lita på att det finns tillräckligt med ströjobb om några år, fast jag tackar nej till något nu ännu.

ulrika v sa...

Är nog härligt att kunna vara hemma med barnen så länge de är små, fast jag vill också hinna göra något eget samtidigt som jag är hemma och det blir lätt konfliktfyllt. Skall skriva min pro gradu nu på våren och börjar ren känna lite ångest för hur jag skall hinna få forskningsplanen färdig till 26.1. Jag hinner ju knappt mejla, läsa blogg eller sköta hushållet... men det måste gå nu är det verkligen dags att få undan studierna! Lycka till med ditt jobbande, hoppas du hittar en balans. Ditt resonemang låter fint och realistiskt!

Anonym sa...

Ha inte bråttom; du hinner nog jobba än (så har du ju jobbat mkt förr också!)
Visst behöver man ngt annat att tänka på ibland och tyvärr behöver man pengar.....men ännu har jag inte hört ngn som ångrar att de varit hemma med barn, men nog tvärtom!
Allra bäst är det ju om det funkar som du verkar planera att jobba lite och hinna m D i alla fall!

Jemayá sa...

Ulrika: huhhuh, låter lite stressigt med allt, men å andra sidan är du ju jättemotiverad nu. Lycka till!!!!

Tack A-M (och andra), känns bra att få stöd för tanken att jag måste komma ihåg att prioritera lillen, fast det som frilansare känns lite läbbigt att tacka nej till jobb!!