lördag 19 maj 2007

"Arctic" garden

It's not easy to live here among the polarbears (just in case: I'm joking, we only have wolves and ordinary bears :). I wrote about D's appletree becoming rabbitfeed in the winter, but it looks like it's a tough little tree. Even if the damage had been done, I covered it in a paperbag, but when it became wet, it broke off the top of the little tree, so now there is only a little stick left - about a meter high. But I can see there are shoots/sprouts (which one is correct on a tree?) on the little trunk. Does anyone know if there is a chance the tree will be a "proper" appletree at some point anyway? I'd like that!!

Last year I planted outside the small narcissus you can buy for Easter in pots - they survived the winter, and are in bloom now, but they are only about five centimetres tall!! Cute, though. The rabbit also ate my only azalea (also happened last winter, I didn't learn the lesson...), but there are a few sprouts, so it's still alive, although it doesn't look very good. But I love its flowers (I'll include a photo from the first year, before the rabbits), so I really hope it survives and I will take care to protect it next winter.

4 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

Sorry I haven't been contributing much to your blog. Been busy with the boys and their birthdays as both were this month. One on the 15th and the other the 18th. Tomorrow will be the family birthday party. Also May 17th marked the 100th anniversary that my great-grandfather left Finland so I wrote up a little thing on my blog. If you are interested please stop on in.

So D had his big day already! Congratulations to the little guy and to you too...see you survived thus far! Tiina said you got the camel we had sent. Hope he liked it, although from the sounds of it someone else does too ;-)

Your flowers are so lovely! We have flowers here to and the apple tree, lilacs and berry bushes are going to be blooming soon. Our bleeding heart is already getting ready to bloom as well. They are one of my favorites.

Without seeing what your apple tree looks like I would assume that if it makes buds this year and survives the rabbits & the winter that it should do okay and grow up to be a "proper" apple tree ;-)

Anonym sa...

I forgot to mention that so far we haven't seen any bears or wolves here but the boys did see a small kyy this morning near the forest! Just what I need.

Anonym sa...

angående äppelträdet det beror väl på om det är ympat på en annan stam eller om det har "egen" annars kan det bli små sura äpplen som smakar apa.

Jemayá sa...

Matt: thank you also for the camel! And congratulations to your boys - 18!!! My how time flies, he is an adult (almost) now!!! Does it make you feel old.. ;)? Hope to meet you all in the summer!!

Bonde: kan man se om den är ympad eller ej? Å andra sidan är det bara 50 cm kvar (kollade igår), så var den ympad har det nog farit. Vi får leva i spänning!