lördag 31 oktober 2009

Hemma hos../ At our place

I haven't shown you what I have found at fleemarkets during the past years. When I saw this mirror a few years back, I simply couldn't resist, even if I had no intention of buying one. This summer I found the stool, same thing...The door to the outside can be seen to the left, in the mirror you can see the door to the kitchen. These two spaces are rather cool in the winter - the floor is not enough insulated. That is my fault - when we renovated the attic, the old stairs had to be moved (they were to the right of the mirror, now to the left outside the photo) and the linoleum removed. I wanted to keep the old floorboards and only painted them. I should've opened the floor and added insulation, but didn't think of it then....:(. Now I have to try to cover it with thick carpets during the cold period...

Since our house is over 100 years old and wooden, I think old things fit best. Maybe if I lived in a flat or a new house, I would go for different kinds of furniture, but now I'm trying to get things that feel good for this place. The other day I visited a house of a young couple and sighed a bit - it was so fresh, beautifully decorated/furnished and well thought-through, but it's different when you can move into an empty house and renovate it thoroughly and furnish it according to your taste. I moved into my mother's house and have slowly been trying to make it more modern...

This is now the left part of our livingroom, where the floor was renovated in Febuary. D still loves to sit in the pram when he gets tired. In the morning he drinks his mild there, while watching children's programs. When I took a look now, I noticed I have halfread papers lying around...maybe I get around to finishing them this weekend :). I'd love to have a new comfortable sofa, but haven't had the money and can't decide what kind would fit. It was a bit better when I bought new covers for the sofa, but still...Another thing would be new modern curtains. But I need 20 meters of curtains for all the windows in this room (5 altogether, like the one that can be seen here). I can't afford to buy the wrong ones...so this time I simply had to dig out some old ones which I felt matched colourwise. On the wall to the right you can see a kind of bookcase. There hasn't been anything since the renovation, I didn't want to bring in my old one, which I felt was the wrong colour and style (from my flat in Espoo), but couldn't find what I wanted, and didn't have time to run around looking. So finally I managed to make them myself from boards I found in our barn. Typically I found out one of them was really crooked when I put it up on Friday :(. Still, I'm rather proud of myself and I guess the curved board just fits with the other not-so-new things in the house...If I win the lottery I might buy completely new ones, but for now these will have to do, there at least much better than an empty wall. I'm beginning to be quite pleased with the room. One of the best things is that it's so much warmer than before, thanks to the new floor and the fireplace, which was built last year in January.

Finally a photo of two of the inhabitants :) - D and grandma two weeks ago when he got back from his dad's. I had bought him a new hat, which he of course immediately wanted to wear. He usually rushes for his rag and wants to be hugged when he gets back. This time I lifted him up in grandma's lap so she also could welcome him back home.

5 kommentarer:

Petchie75 sa...

Åh, vad roligt att se lite från ditt hus! Det ser jättemysigt ut och jag vet att Annika redan har skrivit om hur fint du / ni har det.
Alltid svårt när man måste jobba runt det existerande, både pga kanske nostalgi + ekonomi, men du har gjort ett jättefint jobb!
Hoppas att du får en trevlig helg trots allt och att humöret har vänt. Jag förstår att det är så tufft för dig, och att inte ha nära vänner i närheten - jag har egentligen samma situation här i PR... Tänker på dig!
Kram

Jemayá sa...

Tack Petra :). Ja, för dig är det ju verkligen långt till dina vänner, fast du har ju en av de bästa med dig hela tiden, eller hur :)? Jag är ju egentligen vara tillbaka hos dem jag växte upp med, men mycket tid har gått, både jag och de har förändrats och alla har fullt upp med sitt...på landet är det också tyvärr så att en singel, dessutom i min ålder, inte ritkigt platsar in någonstans :(. Men får så lov att börja signalera till alla att jag orkar och vill ha kontakt igen, så får jag hoppas att det sociala livet så småningom blir livligare! kramar!!

Annika sa...

Vad roligt att se detta! Jag har ju tom varit hos dig och kan berätta för alla att MYSFAKTORN HOS ULLA ÄR HÖG!!!
Det är den som är viktigare än alla coola och terndiga mäbler i världen!
Fin bild av D och Mommo!!
Kramar till dig!!

Anonym sa...

Wow, you can do everything!! I too would like a new sofa.....maybe some year!

Jemayá sa...

Annika: tack vad du är snäll, värmer!!!kramar!

Julie: I'm rather handy, thank God, otherwise we wouldn't survive in this old house, but I've learnt the hard way that soem things are better left to the professionals...Let's dream on about a new sofa :)