söndag 17 maj 2009

Trip to Helsinki etc

My two days in Helsinki were really nice - I arrived by train in the afternoon on Monday and enjoyed the trip a lot, to just sit, look at the views, read some papers, have a coffee in the restaurantcart...I had brought a novel (Khaled Hoseini: The Kite Runner) that I've been reading for the past month, but I never felt like concentrating on it, so I'll probably be reading it for a few months more. I like it, but it's difficult to find the right mood and time for reading. It's also interesting because one of the boys I represent is from Afghanistan, through the novel I get to understand him and his culture better.

In the evening I went to a tapasplace near the hotel with two of my really good friends. It's amazing, even if they live in the south of Finland, I share more personal things with them than with friends here. I guess we take the time to really talk about things when we meet, back home it's more about the everyday events that are being discussed. It was such a nice evening, at one point I laughed so hard I was almost crying - can't remember when I last did that! One thing was bad, though, I took an Irish coffee at nine in the evening to finish off the meal.....not smart at all. Even if I went back to the hotel soon after that, I didn't sleep hardly at all that night and was tired and a bit "out of it" for the rest of the week.

I was really lucky with my roommate, whom I didn't know before the course, even if we had sent a few mails (she is also a "representative" for underaged asylumseekers in Oravais). We got along really well and on Tuesdaynight, after a kind of cocktailparty, we took a walk by the seaside in southern Helsinki - I lived quite nearby when I first moved to Helsinki in...1997, I think. It's really beautiful and it was nice to get this opportunity to just walk around and remember old times. I even met an acquaintance from the salsaschool. We rode the tram - I love the trams in Helsinki and try to ride them everytime I visit. Then we also visited one of my favorite cafés right in the center, Java café, they have loovely smoothies, even if I took something else this time (a huge glass of chocolate with cream - I was in a partymood :).

The photos in the collage are from the two days. The sky was really dramatic going down on the train - it both rained and was sunny during the first evening. I only had my small "pocket" digitalcamera with me, so the quality isn't the very best. But nice to have memories :)



Everything had gone really well here at home as well. D's grandparents were happy to have been able to spend so much time with him - and I was happy that grandpa (D's dad's grandpa) can't sit still but needs to have something to do, so he's been sawing my trees - and D and grandma helped one day :). He also managed to finally move my tractor, which died just before Christmas and has been outside since then.
D has been with his dad this weekend, which was nice for me. I was supposed to rest, since I felt so tired, but there is so much I want to do when I finally have the chance to, so I still feel physically tired (darn Eurovision song contest - just HAD to sit up and watch it to the end last night!!), even if mentally very good. Unfortunately I've gotten into a habit of shopping when I drop D off at his dads. First I go to the swimming pool, then have a meal somewhere ("homeservice", term?, comes to see my mother at those times, to fix her dinner) and then check out shops...On Friday I found really inexpensive colorful sweaters (which I love), couldn't help buying three. Then I found a sporty sweater in another shop + mittens for D. On Saturday I went to another town nearby and finally found a pair of comfortable everyday shoes, which I've been looking for for quite some time. All the other clothes together were half the price of the shoes (which I even managed to get 10 euros off, which I was proud of :), but I have had rather bad shoes for quite some time now, thought I'd splash out for a change. Anyway, it wasn't just shopping, it was also meetings with different friends, chats in two gardens and a visit to a café. I was really pleased with my day.

Today, Sunday, the weather is really lovely outside - I shouldn't be sitting inside by the computer, but I know I'll problably won't find time to write when D gets home, so I'll "sacrifice" the sun - well, I actually sat in the swing in the garden this morning for a while. But now I'm going to go outside, lots to do in the flowerbeds, but somehow I feel like just laying down in the swing with a good book...hope you all had a good week - have a good new one!
Posted by Picasa

6 kommentarer:

Taina sa...

Härlig läsning! Jag gillar H-fors skarpt. Tar också gärna spårvagnen när jag är där, precis som jag gör när jag är i Göteborg.
Du ser ut att trivas på cafét! Snygg outfit!
Önskar dig en fin vecka!
Kram

Anonym sa...

Du ser verkligen prydlig och "hot" ut. Tack för senast. Kram Katri

Annika sa...

Yes, det är bara att hålla med ovanstående: Du är skitsnygg! Och blusen du har på dig är så fin!
KUL att resan var lyckad!
H-fors är en trevlig stad! Mysig!!
snyggt collage!!
Kram!

Jemayá sa...

Taina: thanks :), för mig känns det väldigt hemma att vara i hfors, bodde/jobbade där ändå i sex år. Tror jag börjar ta turer dit lite oftare i mån av möjlighet, har ännu så många goda vänner där. Har förresten aldrig varit till Göteborg, nu då jag fick veta att de har spårvagnar ligger det högt på "skulle vilja åka"-listan :). kram

Katri: tack, du var så fräsch själv - du skulle se mig nu, svettig, smutsig etc efter jobb i trädgården halva dagen :). kram!

Annika: tack, tack, det är lite stressframkallande att försöka göra sig "representabel" när man rör sig bland folk, här hemma lallar jag på slitna, hängiga kläder, kammar inte håret, och sminkar verkligen inte :). Men det är nog roligt att ibland ha chansen att lite piffa upp sig! kram!

Anonym sa...

Did you finish the Kite Runner? I saw the movie....emotional

Jemayá sa...

Haven't had time (or if I've had, I've been too tired to read), so I'm still not even halfways...